Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Is It Only February

WOW we are having some serious warm weather here for our neck of the woods.  I mean 50 degree temps which for us in February is really rare.  The snow is just about gone -just piles here and there.  As far as we can see around the lake - all the ice fishing houses pulled off the lake on Sunday - with the actual deadline of March 6th two weeks away yet.  Not because the ice will thaw in the middle of the lake to a dangerous level - but the shoreline ice could pull away and getting off the lake could be a problem.  Colder weather is on the horizon in the next couple of days - but no real snow in the forecast.  Weird mid winter temps and weather all together.

The mister and I snuck away midweek with another couple for a fun getaway for a couple of days.  The guys wanted to cross country ski - and even with crazy warm temps they were able to get in a couple of days of that - not great skiing but they made the best of it.  It was even nice enough to play cribbage outside in the afternoon

The view out our townhouse wasn't lakeside but on a little inlet where we had swans come and visit us often during our time there
 

Kari and I were able to get in two full days of sewing and it was wonderful.  I learned a few tricks on my new machine.

Speaking of a new machine - a new one was gifted to me by Mr. Farmhouse back in December to replace my old Pfaff who has served me well for many many many years.  She was getting tired and I knew for about a year it was time to think about upgrading - (seriously I really don't like the learning curve that I knew was coming with something new - makes me sweat lol.) . After about a year of thinking - and I'm not kidding - I took the plunge and bought one with an embroidery unit - meet Sophie


So why Sophie you ask - well even if you didn't here's the story.  A few of us Woolies made the big plunge and bought machines during the same week from the same dealer.  I think they had a very good week that week lol.  We decided that they should have names.  Shoot why not I call my Tahoo Pearl because of the name of her color - which is just a pretty name for white lol.  Well my first time ever touching a machine was on my Grandma Sophies treadle machine.  She would let me "play" with the treadle but I never sewed on it.  Mother Tother who's nickname is Sunny was my teacher on her singer machine when I was growing up.  It was so hard to choose because they both represent my history with sewing.  So since my first time touching a machine was on my Grandma's treadle I went with Sophie.  Aren't you glad you asked lol.  Dang Sophie is really smart and with her will come a huge learning curve - insert sweat here lol - but we have been playing nicely together and I think with little bits we will bond nicely. 

I did get most of a Valentine wool project completed for me - not as far as finished but dang close - cute little mini truck from Buttermilk Basin.  I have a few of this series in the kit box so I'm trying to work on them here and there.  Slow and steady right?



 
Thank you so much for all the email addresses that have come my way for my newsletter for Farmhouse Woolens.  I will be sending out a newsletter on Thursday morning.  So if you don't receive one and you've signed up - check your junk mail and if it's not there - give me a shout.  Here's a peek at a few things getting listed on Farmhouse Woolens on Thursday night as well as some personal kits I will be de-stashing.  I really need to clean out some of my stash and now is the time.  So pop over around 8 if your interested. I have many things still out for either quilting or finishing up.  So at some point the beginning of March you'll find lots of new things listed.  I'll keep you posted through the newsletter.  You can sign up by sending me an email at fhwoolens@gmail.com an letting me know your email address.   
 
 
 
   
Last post I promised a good recipe to share with you.  We had another good one tonight that I forgot to take a picture of before hand.  It was beef stroganoff and I found the recipe on facebook - yummmm.  I'm really trying to remember the camera thing lol and take pictures for blogging purposes.  Anywhoooo this was found at Mommy's Kitchen Blog. 



 Salisbury Steak - A New Version 
  • 2 lbs ground beef
  • 1 - package Lipton's French Onion Soup mix
  • 1/2 cup cracker crumbs
  • 1 egg
  • 2 packets (0.75 oz) brown gravy mix - prepared
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 1 small can mushrooms sliced
  • egg noodles, rice or mashed potatoes
Make hamburger patties using the beef, cracker crumbs, eggs and soup mix.  Fry or grill until patties are browned on both sides.  While the hamburgers are cooking mix together the brown gravy with the required amount of water and then add the sour cream and mix well.  Spray a 9x13 pan with non stick spray and lay cooked patties in the pan.  Cover the patties with the sour cream gravy mix.  Add mushrooms and bake at 350 degrees covered for 30-40 minutes turning patties halfway through the baking time.  Serve with the noodles, rice or mashed potatoes.  I did add some fried onions on top when I served them because I had some leftover - that was yummy and I would do it again.

I hope all is well in your neck of the woods.  I will see you back here next week maybe Tuesday or Wednesday lol.  As allows you can find me on Instagram under yellowfarmhouse

8 comments:

  1. Enjoyed your townhouse pictures! Glad you had your camera ready for them! *wink*

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean about the weather... 68 here today in mid/upper Wisconsin.... Crazy!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Betty feels very inferior to your Sophie. Guess you're Sophie is the big sis! LOL You can have our snow if you're missing it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think it even occurred to me to name my sewing machine, hmmm, is it to late now?!?! Looks like you had a fun filled weekend away, lucky you! Your projects pictured are just adorable...and the weather is getting back to the normal here as it is supposed to be but we have rain for a couple days then it turns into snow...YUCK!
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful machine, Karen, and that's the perfect way to learn how to use her... a cozy winter retreat with your own Bernina coach at your fingertips. Sounds like fun! Cute projects, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Sister -- I've already harrased you about your new machine, but I didn't know you had embroidery -- you're going to LOVE it with those littles! It has a bit of a steep learning curve at first -- just remember the most important word: Stabilizer. LOL. Have a great time -- can't wait to see what fun stuff you make!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on Sophie! I have the Brother Quattro 3 and now there is a newer machine out with an even bigger hoop. Hope you enjoy the embroidery function.

    ReplyDelete